Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Avocado Kale Salad

Fresh herbs and a tangy Asian flavor

The Shout out:

Here's another great recipe that I can't take credit for: a crunchy avocado kale salad with a delightful twist of lime and rice wine vinegar. Or, as the authoress over at Cookie + Kate calls it, a Chopped Kale Salad with Edamame, Carrot and Avocado.


What a fabulous salad, folks. Super easy and adaptable, it's a big old bowl of veggies that's perfect for a side dish or entree alike. Truth be told, I had originally whipped it up with the intention of serving it alongside a veggie burger. But as I was in the "testing" phase of the recipe - you know, when you're checking for juuust the right amount of salt, citrus or spice - I just stood there and ate..and ate...and ate.

Dinner without any dishes! Fine by me.

I deviated from the recipe ever so slightly by steaming my kale for about 3 minutes instead of sticking to the 100% raw recipe. I also omitted the edamame altogether because I didn't have any on hand. Go ahead and experiment - I'm even thinking of throwing some sesame tofu into the mix next time around. 

2 comments:

  1. the delicious way to "cook" raw kale (or any hearty green) is to sprinkle salt over chopped greens and massage it in with your hands until it is bright green and looks cooked. yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what the original recipe calls for. I'd never heard of that method until recently...I'll try it out soon!

      Delete