Sunday, July 28, 2013

Peanut Butter Banana Panini


Five minutes of prep, a lifetime of pleasure

The night:

Returning from an evening with Taylor Swift, my little sis and I were in a state of bliss.

Inspired by Tay’s unending set list of hits, Carly Simon’s surprise on-stage appearance, and the thousands of super-fan tweens we spent the evening screaming alongside, we were in the mood for a seriously celebratory sammy.

The peanut butter banana panini - you'll want seconds!
Trekking back to Boston from Gillette Stadium, which (obvi) offers positively zero vegan fare, I secretly assembled my fantasy sammy: peanut butter, banana, and strawberry jam panini-pressed between thick slices of When Pig’s Fly cinnamon raisin bread.

And when we got home, I laid it on my unsuspecting sis: the hot, the gooey, the sweet, the chewy peanut butter banana panini.

The morning:

More than twelve hours later, we still haven’t recovered from the splendor that is this sandwich. In fact, I think I need to take a moment of silence. It’s all so overwhelming.

Ok.

You’re gonna want to get on this ASAP. Go get:

  • 2 slices cinnamon raisin bread – crusty, thick bread works best
  • 2-3 TBSP honey-roasted peanut butter, all natural
  • ½ tsp strawberry jam, no HFCS
  • 1 ripe banana
  • ½ tsp Earth Balance vegan butter

Spread a thin coat of Earth Balance over one side of each piece of bread. Add the peanut butter, jam and banana to one piece. On the other piece, spread the remaining peanut butter and then press your sandwich together. Carefully place it on a panini-press and cook for 5-6 minutes on medium.

And yes, I know what you’re thinking: any vegan Nutella-like spread will push this epic sandwich experience over the edge of insanity. Do it if you dare. Try out this homemade chocolate hazelnut recipe by A House in the Hills and let me know how it goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment